Friday, September 24, 2010

Wedding plans....

Ok, so in the midst of relocating and job hunting, I also have to plan my wedding next year. I started off wanting all sorts of bells and whistles, but now in the harsh light of day, I'm feeling guilty about spending so much money on my wedding reception location. I had my heart set on a romantic outdoor wedding, but when I look at the economy and that fact that all that money will be gone over a 6 hour wedding reception, it puts things in perspective.

According to the statistics:


• $72 billion per year is spent on weddings
• the average wedding budget is $20,000
• $1,016 is the average cost of wedding rings for the bride and groom
• traditionally, the father of the bride would pay for everything. Today, however, the bride and groom themselves pay for the wedding about 30 percent of the time; the bride's parents pay about 17 percent of the time. As for the rest of the time, costs are covered by different sources -- the bride and groom and one or both sets of parents, according to surveys by Bride's magazine.
• $19 billion per year is spent on wedding gift registries
• $8 billion per year is spent on honeymoons
• the average honeymoon budget is $3,657
• over  91 percent of all to-be-weds register for gifts. The couple receives gifts from an average of 200 guests
• most wedding guests spend between $70 and $100 on a gift 

In the grand scheme of things, why do we spend so much on one day and risk going into debt for the forseeable future. I am seriously considering getting my deposit back, getting married in my local church and having a fun, less bank-breaking reception. But where?

These brides are no joke. Every Saturday in June and July from here to eternity is already booked. Let the games (and high blood pressure) begin.

Any suggestions for cool locations in the DC or MD area?

No comments:

Post a Comment